Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My race day safety net...

So, the weather didn't really give us the cold day we were hoping for...  No biggie.  We had some good people on the problem.

My pacer, Dave, is an amazing guy.  In most of the pictures, you'll see a guy with tape on one knee running with me.  He kept me going when the going got tough (and believe me, it got pretty tough).   Let me tell you a little about Dave.  He's ex-Air Force, husband (thank you, Angie!), dad, and a type 2 diabetic.  From looking at him you'd never know he was diabetic.  He's a member of Team Type 2, a bunch of athletes that are kickin' butt and taking names.  And they all have type 2 diabetes.  Check these guys (and gals) out.  They're amazing.  Their mission is to instill hope and inspiration for people around the world who have diabetes and show that with diet, exercise and proper medication, diabetes can be controlled. In 2009 and 2010, TT2 completed the 3,000 mile Race Across America (RAAM), and continues to race in many events around the country including most local Tour de Cure events.  TT2 is part of TT1, a larger organization of type 1 diabetic racers, including a pro cycling team (who hope to debut in the 2012 Tour de France), a running team, a women's cycling team and a triathlon team.

But back to Dave.  If anyone is diabetic and reading this, Dave sets a great example of what diabetes can't do.  It can't limit you or make you weak.  Without him, my race might have been a whole lot different.

I'd been watching the weather for weeks.  When I saw that the weather wasn't going to be as cool as I needed to be, I called a doctor friend to ask his advice on how to keep cool for the race.  He referred me to a sports doctor, who gave me some really good advice, which I used.  I went to the medical tent before going home - to be on the safe side.  Blood pressure, heart rate and body temp were all normal.  As if I took a nice stroll outside kind of normal.  Kudos to the doctors who gave me the great advice.  I followed it to the letter and finished strong and healthy.

In addition, some really great people from EMS kept an eye on me and where I was during the race to make sure that I was safe.  I can't really say enough about these guys - without them on the course, who knows what could have happened.  Now don't get me wrong, they were also out there for the other amazing runners that were out there with me.  EMS really doesn't get a day off; night and day, they're always EMS.  But they were aware that I was out there, doing something crazy, and might need help.

The safety net that existed was truly amazing.  You guys deserve a round of applause.  Thank you.

But Austin, WOW.  The volunteers, spectators and runners.  You cheered everyone on.  It didn't matter whether or not you knew them.  You stood out there for hours and cheered.  And to the people who worked the water stops - you were really awesome!  26.2 miles of fans for every single runner out there, and a support crew for each one.  And you made everyone feel like it was their race, their day to succeed.  To the runners - it was a great race.  I saw a lot of you that were out there having fun!  And a lot of you encouraging the ones who weren't.  And the ones that weren't, you didn't quit.  You guys are amazing.

My race report is coming - I've got it drafted and need to put the finishing touches on it.  I wanted to make sure and highlight that this was a team effort before the race report, though.  A lot of people stepped up to help make this happen.

Thank you to everyone.  And don't forget that the point of this was to fund the scholarship.  You can donate here:
Donate

No comments:

Post a Comment