Thursday, June 28, 2012

Run to Hear 5K Race Report

I went out to do this race with one purpose.  To see how fast I could run 5k.

I chose this race based on its cause.  My father has been partially deaf his entire life, so this is close to my heart.  But these kids just amaze me.  I expect most teenagers to be sitting on the couch this summer and enjoying their freedom from school.  These kids are raising money to make a difference to other kids.  Their maturity and heart just amazed me.

The morning was warmer than I would have preferred, but the course was flat, winding a bit around a small lake in the Pflugerville, Texas area.  It's a popular area for triathlon and other running events, so I was pretty confident that it would be a good race.
 

I got up early, got my coffee and pop tart and headed out.  I was there early, and registered, and I got a chance to talk to some of the kids and adults behind the event.  They are really pretty amazing.  You can read about them here.  I passed a table that lets you adopt some ducks, and adopted a few.  See, they put your number on the bottom of the ducks, throw them in the water, and the first one to the finish line wins.  However, I'm not interested in winning.  What I am interested in is bringing two cute little duckies to my kids!




After registering, I went over, put on my running shoes and got ready to run.  We lined up at the starting line and Ready, Set, GO!!!  The course was flat, fast and beautiful, and all too soon, it was over.  My new 5k PR was set.


Official results were 20:07.  Third overall person, first overall female.  Pretty good race.  But sitting, talking with others after the race was so much fun.  What a great group of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment